National Advisory Council
The Harkin Institute’s bipartisan National Advisory Council is comprised of national leaders in business, public service and education who provide guidance and direction for the institute while serving as some of its most ardent supporters.
In addition to providing valuable insight on strategic planning for the institute, members of the National Advisory Council (NAC) play a vital role as speakers and mentors.
Through various capacities, NAC members offer internship and professional development opportunities to Drake University students involved with The Harkin Institute.
Marsha Ternus, J.D. (Chair)
- Former Iowa Supreme Court Chief Justice
- Inaugural Executive Director, The Harkin Institute
Charles E. Cook, Jr.
- Editor and Publisher, The Cook Political Report
- Columnist, National Journal
Angela L. Walker Franklin, Ph.D.
- President, Des Moines University
Michael G. Gartner
- Principal Owner, Iowa Cubs
- Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
- Former President, NBC News
Ruth R. Harkin
- Former Senior Vice President, United Technologies Corporation
- Past Member, Iowa Board of Regents
James W. Hubbell III
- Chairman, Hubbell Realty Company (Retired)
Rachel R. McLean, Ph.D.
- Ruan Companies
Sally J. Pederson
- Former Lieutenant Governor of Iowa
Stephen W. Roberts, J.D.
- Retired, Davis Brown L.L.P.
- Former Iowa Republican State Chairman
- Former U.S. President, United Way Worldwide
- President and CEO, Sukup Manufacturing