National Advisory Council
The Harkin Institute’s bipartisan National Advisory Council is comprised of national leaders in business, public service and education who provide guidance and direction for the institute while serving as some of its most ardent supporters.
In addition to providing valuable insight on strategic planning for the institute, members of the National Advisory Council (NAC) play a vital role as speakers and mentors.
Through various capacities, NAC members offer internship and professional development opportunities to Drake University students involved with The Harkin Institute.
Mary Sellers (Chair)
- President, United Way of Central Iowa
- Former U.S. President, United Way Worldwide
Charles E. Cook, Jr.
- Editor and Publisher, The Cook Political Report
- Columnist, National Journal
Ruth R. Harkin
- Former Senior Vice President, United Technologies Corporation
- Past Member, Iowa Board of Regents
James W. Hubbell III
- Chairman, Hubbell Realty Company (Retired)
Rachel R. McLean, Ph.D.
- Ruan Companies
Sally J. Pederson
- Former Lieutenant Governor of Iowa
- President, AFL-CIO
- President and CEO, Sukup Manufacturing
Marsha Ternus, J.D.
- Former Iowa Supreme Court Chief Justice
- Inaugural Executive Director, The Harkin Institute
Senator Tom Harkin (Retired)
- Former Iowa Senator
Michael G. Gartner
- Former Principal Owner, Iowa Cubs
- Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
- Former President, NBC News
David E. Maxwell, Ph.D
- President Emeritus, Drake University
- Former President of Iowa State University
Stephen W. Roberts
- Of Counsel Attorney, Davis Brown L.L.P
- Former Iowa Republican State Chairman
Nancy G. Shor
- Former Executive Director, National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives